DCIM (Data Center Infrastructure Management) solutions come in a variety of shapes and sizes but all have a common aim – to provide data center managers the ability to improve the efficiency, both in cost and operational terms, of their data center.
Enhanced visibility of your data center
Typically, a range of tools are deployed, such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Visio and various databases, in an attempt to record meaningful information about the data center and its operation. This is a great way to get started but these tools struggle to provide all the information you need, especially as your data center expands in size and complexity.
A good DCIM solution provides complete visibility of all your data center’s assets and a wide range of configuration, reporting and management capabilities. It gives you the ability to integrate data from power management, environmental monitoring devices and other IT systems and then manage them all from one central hub.
Is DCIM just a buzzword?
DCIM has often been perceived as just another buzzword and been bundled with many others, such as the Cloud. This has led to various solutions appearing on the market. Many of these ‘solutions’ carry the badge of DCIM but fail to offer the true capability of a robust DCIM solution. For example, they often focus on only one area and provide a limited suite of control and monitoring options – such as just power strip management.
Naturally, this causes confusion and uncertainty in many data centre managers’ minds about what a DCIM solution can really offer them and which solution best meets their needs.
You can drive savings of over 20%
Armed with the right, feature-rich DCIM solution, it is possible to drive significant savings in your data center. Our customers measure their return on investment in months rather than years. They typically report energy savings and improved operational efficiencies of over 20% and often significantly higher.
Effective implementation of a scalable, easy-to-use DCIM solution in your data centre will provide you with:
- A modular approach to DCIM that focuses on asset management at the heart of the application with additional modules delivered from the same software application platform. This controlled and manageable way best meets your needs and budget.
- Improved reporting to assist with decision making.
- Increased data center efficiency and therefore cost reduction.
- Increased capacity utilization – get more from your data center.
- Real-time monitoring, allowing you to identify and mitigate potential risks.
- Improved operations that save both time and money.